Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Sneaky TV AD technique
Probaby a number of you have noticed that many TV ads are utilizing a new method to draw you to their ad.  It's all kinds of ads, no particular area. 

They will play the vibratory sound of a mobile phone for several tones at the beginning of the Ad.  It does in fact immediately draw you to the TV screen, or maybe to your phone until you get used to it.  Now that you've heard about it, you will notice it. 

Put those product makers that use this method on you list of brands you will avoid and drop them and email saying you resent the attempted sleight of mind.  

Consume intelligently.  

the Spanker
Spankster, I noticed years ago that when I was listening to the radio in the car, they would honk a horn in the ad to get your attention. It would scare me pretty good. Now I listen to XM radio for that reason. No commercials.

(02-27-2016, 11:11 PM)Revolution Wrote: Spankster, I noticed years ago that when I was listening to the radio in the car, they would honk a horn in the ad to get your attention. It would scare me pretty good. Now I listen to XM radio for that reason. No commercials.

You know what really drives me crazy. Whenever I change a channel on tv to see what's on, I always get a commercial. It doesn't matter what time it is, it always happens.
Sometimes I wonder if they know when you change a channel and then throw a bunch of commercials at you.
It's one of my biggest pet peeves.
Radio has gotten to be the same way. 2 minutes of music then ads, then the dj blabbers, then more ads, then 2 minutes of music and repeat. Change the channel and you get an ad almost every time. Another gripe I have is all the stations seem to play only old music. Doesn't matter if its easy listening, rock, hard rock, etc its all old songs I first heard decades ago. I do like the old music but not every single time. They no longer have oldies stations, no need, they are all oldies stations. Now I listen to the spanish language channels, I like the salsa etc and its all new to me.
sneaky tactics are like targeted advertising, should be illegal!
(02-28-2016, 08:15 AM)Cricket Wrote:
(02-27-2016, 11:11 PM)Revolution Wrote: Spankster, I noticed years ago that when I was listening to the radio in the car, they would honk a horn in the ad to get your attention. It would scare me pretty good. Now I listen to XM radio for that reason. No commercials.

You know what really drives me crazy. Whenever I change a channel on tv to see what's on, I always get a commercial. It doesn't matter what time it is, it always happens.
Sometimes I wonder if they know when you change a channel and then throw a bunch of commercials at you.
It's one of my biggest pet peeves.

Hi Revolution, yes, I remember that also, and even siren sounds sometimes for some ads on radio.  I emailed a couple of local stations and asked them to not allow honks, sirens, gunshots, etc., to introduce ads.  I usually listen to Internet radio, non commercial and a wide variety of musical types to pick from.  

Yeah Cricket, I get the same impression when I'm channel surfing.  For me, part of it is I watch too much TV, ha.  I have started to pick a main thing to watch, and a secondary thing like MMA fighting, the run for president show, or something that doesn't really have continuity.  When the commercials hit on my main show, I just go to my 2nd for a couple of minutes.  Works pretty good. 

Several years ago I played sick and stayed home from work.  I was a state employee and would start feeling quesy once I saw my available sick days build up much.  I called the FCC and was switched to their PR department.  I told the guy it seemed to me that when commercials came on TV, the volume seemed to go up.  He was real agreeable and said, yeah, they sure do.  The FCC rule is that the commercial volume can be upped to a decibel level found on live events, like cheering for a goal at a Super Bowl.  Their has been legislation introduced to stop the practice, but, surprise, none of it's ever gone anywhere.  So, that's been a fact of viewing life for years.

Spanky
Whenever I'm watching TV and I am switching between say 2-3 shows, it seems that ALL the shows have commercials at the SAME time.
Drives me nutty.