Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGAIN? REALLY ??
Here we go again. Today New Orleans and some surrounding areas are underwater. Lots of heavy rain have the streets flooded, even some cars underwater. What is going on?
The places that were flooded last week and week before are still trying to dry out. It's one flood after another.

This is scary. The new pumps they put in after Katrina were suppose to be much more efficient and take care of NO in another hurricane. Now these fancy new pumps can't even take care of a rain storm? That sure doesn't bode well with hurricane season a couple months away.

I'm gonna start building my ark now. Angry

BTW, Cricket is high and dry. For now, but this is gettin' old.
Glad you added the BTW , Cricket......good grief yes those new pumps were supposed to really be over sized .....glad YOU are high & dry
(04-01-2016, 05:46 PM)Cricket Wrote: Here we go again. Today New Orleans and some surrounding areas are underwater. Lots of heavy rain have the streets flooded, even some cars underwater. What is going on?
The places that were flooded last week and week before are still trying to dry out. It's one flood after another.

This is scary. The new pumps they put in after Katrina were suppose to be much more efficient and take care of NO in another hurricane. Now these fancy new pumps can't even take care of a rain storm? That sure doesn't bode well with hurricane season a couple months away.

I'm gonna start building my ark now.  Angry

BTW, Cricket is high and dry. For now, but this is gettin' old.
A hub in Memphis is delaying parcels because of flooding.  I legitimately ordered some video games of eBay for my kids and the mode of transport was suppose to be here today, but is delayed due to flooding there.    We've been getting pounded with rain all week and sleet awhile ago.  Expected delivery date is Monday or Tuesday.  I'm kind of pissed because I wanted to get my groove with Dance Party or whatever the game is.

Glad your high and dry cricket.  Crickets can't swim!
(04-01-2016, 11:58 PM)Harley Wrote: Ah Cricket, why can't Mother Nature give y'all a break down there!  

I'm glad to hear that you are high and dry.

Well, everything is back to normal now. When the rain eased up the pumps were able to drain it pretty fast, but damn.
With hurricanes the rain will swamp us again. I don't see how these pumps are gonna be much of an improvement.
I guess we'll see IF (I HOPE NOT) another cane comes this way again.

Oh, not to worry about this Cricket not being able to swim. I float like a cork. Besides, me mum and dad taught this little buglet to swim at a very young age. Had a job as a lifeguard at the YMCA long ago, so I think I'll be ok. Just don't feel like getting wet if I can help it. LOL

Thanks guys. Have a great weekend. Smile

(04-02-2016, 06:46 AM)Cricket Wrote:
(04-01-2016, 11:58 PM)Harley Wrote: Ah Cricket, why can't Mother Nature give y'all a break down there!  

I'm glad to hear that you are high and dry.

Well, everything is back to normal now. When the rain eased up the pumps were able to drain it pretty fast, but damn.
With hurricanes the rain will swamp us again. I don't see how these pumps are gonna be much of an improvement.
I guess we'll see IF (I HOPE NOT) another cane comes this way again.

Oh, not to worry about this Cricket not being able to swim. I float like a cork. Besides, me mum and dad taught this little buglet to swim at a very young age. Had a job as a lifeguard at the YMCA long ago, so I think I'll be ok. Just don't feel like getting wet if I can help it. LOL

Thanks guys. Have a great weekend.  Smile

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGs2iLoDUYE
Hi Cricket.
Very interesting video you posted.
It struck me that in the period, 1927, people wore dress clothes almost as casual. You know what I mean? Noticing the dress jackets with ties ..etc.

Im am glad you have the lifeguard training in your past, seems like it may just come in handy...

That song and melody was very sobering....
Omg! Geez cricket I'm sorry and whoever said crickets can't swim is cracking me up! Awe I imagine it's difficult to do anything at all let alone get mail. I keep you in my prayers what a bummer. I could help ya build an ark. It would probably sink but I'm willing to trySmile
~Be the Aloha you want to see in the world~
(04-02-2016, 11:33 AM)Linville Wrote: Hi Cricket.
Very interesting video you posted.
It struck me that in the period, 1927,  people wore dress clothes almost as casual. You know what I mean? Noticing the dress jackets with ties ..etc.

Im am glad you have the lifeguard training in your past, seems like it may just come in handy...

That song and melody was very sobering....

I almost hated to post that song. Every time I hear it, it makes me cry. Guess I'm a little sensitive about it after goin' thru the flooding and destruction of Katrina. There are no words that can express how terrible that was.

As for the flooding of N O back then where they blew up the levees to save the French quarter and downtown area, they did the same thing for Katrina. Those levees were blown up, not damaged by a barge hitting it. N O didn't have to have all of that water. It was done on purpose like before. Of course they deny it, but all of us down here know the truth. If they admitted to doing that before, what makes people think they wouldn't do it again. Every time it's the poor people living in the 9th ward that pay the price. The government is the cause of that mess. I have no doubt they will do it again if another storm threatened certain areas. I wouldn't live in the 9th ward (St. Bernard parish) if they paid me.

The problem where I live on the northshore of the lake is, we have no levees or protection of any kind, so living right on the lake you know what the outcome will be. Since Katrina they built a huge wall around St. Bernard to protect them, but all that water will have to go somewhere. That would be right into the lake on my side. The next storm could be much worse for us now. Not very comforting, but all we can do is pray it never happens again. I couldn't go thru that again.

With Katrina, the big oil spill and the flooding it feels like they are trying to wipe La. off the map.
Well, New Orlean's elevation is below sea level so.....

I always wondered who thought it'd be a great idea to build a city there. Take Mexico City for example; built upon a lagoon and now it's sinking dramatically since the aquifer below it was drained.
(04-02-2016, 10:32 PM)CrystallineCrusader Wrote: Well, New Orlean's elevation is below sea level so.....

I always wondered who thought it'd be a great idea to build a city there. Take Mexico City for example; built upon a lagoon and now it's sinking dramatically since the aquifer below it was drained.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Back in the day when N O was put on the map, we had a lot of wetlands that took care of the brunt of storms. Now with our coastline being eaten away and the wetlands disappearing by the second, there's not much left to slow the storms down. Then the Corp of engineers started building other waterways and redirecting the Miss. river and now those wetlands don't have a chance of rebuilding. You can't mess with mother nature and not expect bad things to happen.
N O is very important to this country and needs to be protected. So much oil and gas and seafood comes from here.

People say why stay in a city below sea level. Well, because it's our home and we luv it here. There's just something magical about this area that won't let you leave. I have tried to live in another state, but I couldn't stand it. N O kept calling me home.

So, we learn to deal with the problems and keep on goin'. If the damn government would leave us alone and stop trying to "help?", we would be just fine. Their "help" is what has caused most of the problems we have today.