Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Betablockers-Ace Inhibitors vs. Benzos
I am interested to know what your individual experience is in terms of using both Betablockers and Ace Inhibitors vs. Benzos for controlling essential tremor. I have scripts for both Lisinopril and Metoprolol for my hypertension. Neither has any effect on my essential tremor and I have been using Alprazolam in order to treat my tremor. The Alp is 100% effective in treating my condition.
I have read that the Betablocker Propanolol is very effective in treating tremor. Do any forum members have positive or negative comments on the use of Propanolol for the treatment of tremors?
I can't get a script for Alp., even though it is the only medication proven to treat my condition (isn't the health care system wonderful?) So, I'm just wondering if I should ask my Primary Care Physician if we could try working Propanolol into my medications. Alprazolam works for me, but I'll be damned if I can get a legitimate script for the med. that works.
I look forward to your comments.
Raven
I use propranolol for a number of years now. both to slow down my heart and to help with essential tremors.

It does help. I hate to be without the med.

I know my medical doctor sister told me all the doctors and she took them before doing public speaking and speeches as it makes one look calm.

Good luck.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

Thanks for the reply Charon. I too have heard that Propanolol is used commonly for performance anxiety. It just sounds like a good fit for me if it is effective for treating both hypertension and anxiety related tremor. I'm going to ask my PCP if she will switch my Metoprolol script for Propanolol.
Raven