Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swansee UK
I just watched a "viceland" show about Swansee... Is it as bad as they made it out to be?...

Just askin the people that know...

Ice
Semper Fidelis

[Image: SyAa0qj.png]

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit
Never been there Ice,i do know there are some pretty rough parts of Wales,no jobs,poverty etc,lot of places like that in the UK,its like some places have deliberately been left to be run down.
Nearest i can think of similar in the US might be Detroit.
Watching the news about the cops getting shot there doesn't surprise me,things are getting ugly everywhere these days.

I couldn't find the video on the vice site,have you got a link to it please?
Hey TG...

Yeah Detriot!! Once a powerhouse city, now it's more or less, run by gangs!

I saw the 1hr show about the problems in Swansea and I just felt so bad for those that seem to have no way out... Sad...

But I'll see if I can't find that ... At least a clip..

Take care TG...

Ice
Semper Fidelis

[Image: SyAa0qj.png]

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit
I found something this morning,is the Swansea film in a series of films about that place?
I read the vice site now and then,but,i never even noticed the 'viceland' film page so thanks for that.
I will have a watch tonight or weekend and let you know what i think.

There are a lot of places like that now in the UK,like Detroit,areas of heavy industrial production,coal,cars,steel etc.They have all been left to run down.No opportunities in many areas across the UK for the last 30 years,the uk is in a right mess,broken Britain is a common used phrase.

We have this UK government always talking of a Northern Powerhouse(for the ?North of England,its all just more empty words from politicians who have nothing in common with the rest of us little people.

How can they build a Northern powerhouse when they are closing the last steel mills.

There are large areas of Wales and Northern England that have basically had their works shut down and left to rot.
All thats left for a lot to do now is drink or take drugs,sad state of affairs,there was one place in Wales that young people were committing suicide in large numbers it was so decimated by unemployment.

I think those with not much money in the UK and US have quite a lot in common,both countries used to have a large areas of industrial production,now its lucky if you get a job,usually in some crappy call center.

Will try and find the Swansea film in a while,sounds interesting.
Thanks Ice,got something to watch tonight.
(07-08-2016, 05:14 PM)tommygun Wrote: I found something this morning,is the Swansea film in a series of films about that place?
I read the vice site now and then,but,i never even noticed the 'viceland' film page so thanks for that.

There are a lot of places like that now in the UK,like Detroit,areas of heavy industrial production,coal,cars,steel etc.They have all been left to run down.No opportunities in many areas across the UK for the last 30 years,the uk is in a right mess,broken Britain is a common used phrase.

We have this UK government always talking of a Northern Powerhouse(for the ?North of England,its all just more empty words from politicians who have nothing in common with the rest of us little people.

How can they build a Northern powerhouse when they are closing the last steel mills.

There are large areas of Wales and Northern England that have basically had their works shut down and left to rot.
All thats left for a lot to do now is drink or take drugs,sad state of affairs,there was one place in Wales that young people were committing suicide in large numbers it was so decimated by unemployment.

I think those with not much money in the UK and US have quite a lot in common,both countries used to have a large areas of industrial production,now its lucky if you get a job,usually in some crappy call center.

Hi Tommy,

Not sure if you found the documentary or not but here's the link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIbpt1aDFqM

I watched it a while back and found it very interesting, although pretty dark at the same time.

There's a similar epidemic where I am and it's getting worse.
I managed to watch a bit of that film. I know what you mean about Detroit, but to me it feels different because Detroit has depopulated much more dramatically - which makes sense because the USA is geographically so much bigger. Detroit Wayne Country airport is quite nice. The only part of Michigan I liked was Ann Arbor.

Brassed Off is a good movie about Thatcherism, closing of the pits etc. To some extent the more recent Pride looks at the same issue, albeit focused on the unlikely alliance between London gay rights activists and Welsh miners. The latter gets more laughs, but AIDS and the fact the miners don't win loom in the background.

I'd give anything for a government that occasionally looked beyond London. Most of them can hardly make it as far as the Midlands. Sadly I think this Northern Powerhouse is just rhetoric. A few companies might benefit from a bit of investment, but 99% will see nothing. Sadly I don't see Brexit and the new government helping.
(07-13-2016, 05:44 PM)builderbob Wrote:
(07-08-2016, 05:14 PM)tommygun Wrote: I found something this morning,is the Swansea film in a series of films about that place?

Hi Tommy,

Not sure if you found the documentary or not but here's the link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIbpt1aDFqM

I watched it a while back and found it very interesting, although pretty dark at the same time.

There's a similar epidemic where I am and it's getting worse.

Sorry for late reply bob,i did watch it one afternoon,it reminded me of where i live,a bit depressing,but real,felt sorry for the folk in the film.
Seems like nothings being done for folk in areas like that.
Oh,we can build more luxury housing and force the locals out,social cleansing,not just a London thing.

Northern powerhouse is just words,more like Northern poor house.(or Northern shit house to the ruling toffs who seem intent on making the North defunct..history.)