Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Those living in warm climate
To those living in warm climate and no central air, do you do anything special for your medications? I have a temperature gauge in my safe where I store my pills and it sometimes goes up to around 80-88 degrees. I've read that for the medications I am storing (benzos) that they should be at around 77 degrees, but is alright to temporarily go up to 86 for a short period of time. I've never noticed any potency loss but it's getting into the hotter part of the summer and I'm afraid that it will be getting too warm and the possibility of loss of potency is greater.

To those in a similar situation have you found any alternative methods to storing your medications?
(06-26-2015, 02:30 AM)Squidword Wrote: I believe it's humidity rather than heat which will affect the quality.

Ahh very good point. I guess I was wondering what those do who live in like Florida without central air and no matter where they stash their pills it'll be far above the 77 degree recommendation.
(06-26-2015, 03:52 AM)andybones Wrote:
(06-26-2015, 02:30 AM)Squidword Wrote: I believe it's humidity rather than heat which will affect the quality.

Ahh very good point. I guess I was wondering what those do who live in like Florida without central air and no matter where they stash their pills it'll be far above the 77 degree recommendation.

PHEW! I don't know how anyone down south can do without A/C. I would die.

I don't have any answers for you other than try to keep them in the coolest spot you can find. I heard somewhere today that you should NEVER leave them in your car. It will totally destroy them.

I don't know if you can put them in the fridge or not. Does anyone know if that's an option?
(06-26-2015, 04:35 AM)Cricket Wrote:
(06-26-2015, 03:52 AM)andybones Wrote:

PHEW! I don't know how anyone down south can do without A/C. I would die.

I don't have any answers for you other than try to keep them in the coolest spot you can find. I heard somewhere today that you should NEVER leave them in your car. It will totally destroy them.

I don't know if you can put them in the fridge or not. Does anyone know if that's an option?

When I lived in Houston area I know it got as hot as you can even imagine ... Summer lasted ahh about 10 1/2 months a year ( got a little cool in Feb ) , so I'd keep my stash in the fridge.
This worked, but when I'd take them out, they'd sweat to high heaven ... So I started to use a tupperware bowl and put rice in it ...

That way I could take them out of the cold and the rice sucked up all the "sweat" caused by the drastic change in temps ... They remained dry and never got hot ...

It worked for me .... Just sayin
Semper Fidelis

[Image: SyAa0qj.png]

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit
Hey Audrey! Thanks, loving it here!

Thank you all for your wonderful comments!

I currently keep mine in my safe, and it's been working well so far, but I do know some people can't afford central air and live in some pretty hot climates.

As for keeping in the refrigerator, I don't believe that an options for my meds, as they shouldn't get below 68 degress, and from my searching refrigerators are around 40.
You all have good ideas......

It is sunlight, temperature and humidity (excluding age) that one needs to be concerned about.

here's a good tip....I use special black jars that are sunlight (including ultraviolet) proof, humidity proof and store them in cool locations.

These jars are good for herbs, medicine, anything you want to protect.

I am not sure if this is my brand (mine have no markings), but here's a link to the same or similar product...in all sizes and shapes..

http://infinityjars.com/

They really work!
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence - Desiderata
(06-26-2015, 06:49 PM)Popster Wrote: You all have good ideas......

It is sunlight, temperature and humidity (excluding age) that one needs to be concerned about.

here's a good tip....I use special black jars that are sunlight (including ultraviolet) proof, humidity proof and store them in cool locations.

I am not sure if this is my brand (mine have no markings), but here's a link to the same or similar product...in all sizes and shapes..

They really work!

Very cool! would have never thought of something like this! Thank you for sharing!  :good:

They really work!

Hey popster,
Thanks for posting this link. I was not familiar with these containers. My herbs tends to loose flavor before I use most of the jar. R.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift; that’s why they call it the present.

Eleanor Roosevelt

You can observe a lot by just watching. Yogi Berra

They really work!

Frikin great Popster! ... This is just the ticket! ... I can see right now I'll be getting me a few of these for future endevors ... Many thanks my friend ...
Semper Fidelis

[Image: SyAa0qj.png]

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit
everyone is welcome for this tip.......I guarantee these are remarkable products.

Rumor, some manufacturer's claim improvement of flavors regarding herbs....i can't attest to that.....but if your storing herbs...these are the real deal for protection.
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence - Desiderata