Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Operational security
Honestly, I just use a NAt router, customized firewall settings, tutanota.com email, chrome browser in incognito mode, a few browser dons/extensions when on the PC that act similar to a VPN and Avast AV and browse safely. I'm relatively tech savvy so I know ways to prevent others from accessing my devices. IMO I'm such a small fish, use a few delivery addresses and also receive international mail from my GF's family on a regular basis. I've shut down remote access to all my devices, shutdown location services, closed ports through my firewall that are common entry points for intrusion and the one vendor that I make larger orders from is always broken down into small amounts. Usually LE isn't going after the end user unless you are using a domestic us to us source, which I don't, and what I order and the amount isn't a high priority and it's a schedule IV so from my perspective im not too worried. I do no-resaling and if you go to the websites about ordering online they usually refer to the end user as a victim. Maybe I'm wrong and naive, but so many people use iop's for them to randomly target me I think is less than 1%, if that. And if I am watched/tracked plausible denialibity defense can be used. Such as I used public network and my IP was cloned, my wifi was hacked and wesearches/emails didn't come from me but the person that hacked me, money transfers I usually do at a store with no cameras and they never require ID so I didn't do the transfer, deliveries (specifically that require signatures) are received at a place that signs for me and when I sign I use my non-dominant hand because a forensics expert could not match my correct hand writing to my off-hand writing and someone else is using my address for deliveries and I'm not home. I usually wait two to three days before opening a package also because if it is a controlled delivery they usually have a piece of technology inserted that shows when it was opened and if you open it right away they pounce, but they don't have the manpower to keep someone outside my house for 48-72 hours for a 60-90 supply. Waiting a few days could help plausible deniability because I wasn't expecting what was sent and was in no hurry to open it. Also, there's also the plausible defense someone has a huge grudge against you and is intentionally trying to get you in trouble, which there are a lot of reports of that on the Internet. Someone sends a sch3du13 1 with a very potent smell to an adversary making it obvious what's in the pack.

Ocassionally i use a VPN, but not that often. If anyone thinks I'm being too naive please chime in. I'll gladly listen..

Here's the definition of plausible denialibility from the urban dictionary, which just puts it into layman terms.

"Plausible deniability actually is a legal concept. It refers to lack of evidence proving a allegation. Standards of proof vary in civil and criminal cases. In civil cases, the standard of proof is "more likely so than not" whereas in a criminal matter, the standard is "beyond a reasonable doubt" If your opponent lacks incontrovertible proof (evidence) of their allegation, you can "plausibly deny" the allegation even though it may be true." In order to be prosecuted and the courts to win they have to prove, with hard evidence, beyond a reasonable doubt that the person performed the action. But, I don't remember the exact statics but it's a relatively high number of PC's are infected with spyware, Trojans, part of bot nets, their wifi is being accessed illegally, etc. The cost to prosecute me, whom is referred to as the victim on almost all legal importing sites (ISC's, customs, etc), would not be worth it for the quantities I order, the frequency, etc.
All consumer routers are configureable for NAT...which in no way is designed for security. It is a local address delivery system and in no way prevents outsiders from accessing anyone's computer. If you were hacked, it would be through the router itself which has a fixed IP address or through software using the router.

If you remain small potatoes as you imply...a simple free VPN service is enough to protect you.

Plausible deniability is what I use overtime I lie....hehehehe.
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence - Desiderata