Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stars "POWER"
Stars using their power of favor to gain momentum for subjects in the news. i.e. Voting, Ecological and so on.  OK movie stars are great at their venue. But this causes a lot of angst with people now as to paying to see their movies.  Leo likes to beat on the environment while flying in private jets and cruising the ocean on yachts.   Political (either side) speeches also make things less attractive for going to movies in my book. As this paints them now as politicians. Of course I believe in free speech, but you detract value of the cause by being hypocritical of the issue at hand.  NOT trying to start an argument. Just saying. Wink
I've discovered that everyone is hypocrite. I read an article about Al gore who is the champion of the environment and green energy,and his light bill is like $10,000 per month on his huge mansion. The people at the top will always be do as I say, not as I do.

Bernie was the only real one out there, and he was corrupted eventually and lost a lot of credibility with me.
I know what you mean about Leo and Al Gore. I agree with them, I'm glad they highlight what I believe to be a very important issue, but then they undermine it with their own lifestyle. Another is Bono of U2 who has complicated tax avoidance measures which really make me feel he is deeply hypocritical. Ireland could really do with those taxes! We've had a series of charity concerts where some of the richest stars in the world, line up to tell ordinary people to hand over their money. That feels a bit awkward to me.

Then again, celebrities are approached by charities and NGOs to try and help raise awareness of a certain issue. I have no problem with the latter. There are certain celebrities who've used their fame to call out prejudice and inequality. David Bowie did it to MTV about not playing black music. Elton John did a lot to reduce the stigma about AIDS and more recently criticising Russia for having homophobic laws. I believe they are sincere and have used their position of influence for good.

Someone who annoys me is Russell Brand who I'm sure has his heart in the right place, but simply doesn't know enough. He gets into sociology or economics and that's when you realise his lack of knowledge. I'll never forgive him for encouraging people not to vote. It disrespects the people who died for the right to vote. I'm sure there are plenty of people in the USA right now who don't much care for the options available. But I believe voting for the lesser of two evils is better than moaning about there not being a candidate perfect/pure enough. (I will grant you that these two are especially unappealing, but you know what I mean.)