Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5-HTP
Hey LV.
Things are good!
Hope things are good with you too!
So, update.
3.5 weeks of taking 5-HTP.
I'm still positive it's having a ... positive effect.

I have had a rough time lately, life has thrown me many a lemon and many a curve ball over the last 3 weeks and as a result I don't know if this is a good or bad time to evaluate 5-HTP, because it is not the norm.
Nonetheless, I'm pretty confident that I can say I would have handled said lemons and curveballs, not very well, but instead I made lemonade and played 'American football' ;-)

Oh, 1 thing I noticed just recently. My memory has improved. It's never been bad, but it's never been great, however I'm definitely remembering 'the little things' more.
(03-29-2017, 05:46 PM)Insomnia_Sucks Wrote: So, update.
3.5 weeks of taking 5-HTP.
I'm still positive it's having a ... positive effect.

I have had a rough time lately, life has thrown me many a lemon and many a curve ball over the last 3 weeks and as a result I don't know if this is a good or bad time to evaluate 5-HTP, because it is not the norm.
Nonetheless, I'm pretty confident that I can say I would have handled said lemons and curveballs, not very well, but instead I made lemonade and played 'American football' ;-)

Oh, 1 thing I noticed just recently. My memory has improved. It's never been bad, but it's never been great, however I'm definitely remembering 'the little things' more.

You don't have to name the brand, as I think that might be breaking the rules, but are you taking something special, or one you found in a regular drugstore? I have always been interested in 5-HTP, but never ventured into it because I tried St. John's Wort and it did nothing. So glad it is going well for you!
Hi,

I am taking a brand but not a 'blend' - by that I mean the only 'active ingredient' is 5-HTP
there are some B vitamins and magnesium in the caps too, but I think this is standard.

I read:
St. John's Wort works differently to 5-HTP.
St Johns Wort works like an SSRI, whereas 5-HTP simply creates more serotonin.
(03-31-2017, 01:45 PM)Insomnia_Sucks Wrote: Hi,

I am taking a brand but not a 'blend' - by that I mean the only 'active ingredient' is 5-HTP
there are some B vitamins and magnesium in the caps too, but I think this is standard.

I read:
St. John's Wort works differently to 5-HTP.
St Johns Wort works like an SSRI, whereas 5-HTP simply creates more serotonin.

Good to know. Interesting!
Hi FF.

5-HTP isn't a sleep med. I take 1 cap in the AM and 1 cap in the PM.
It helps create melatonin, which helps the body's sleep/ wake cycle.
-basically when it gets dark the brain will release more melatonin and prepare the body for sleep.

When it comes to sedating antihistamines like you have listed above, Doxylam1n3 is the best IMO.
It's much much more powerful than diphenhydram1n3 or promethaz1n3

Don't really know why I used numbers for letters ^
Can't be too safe tho Smile
Good work Insomnia. I like those effects you mention like memory improvement. And you have test in vivo the positive effects as you had a lemon and many a curve ball over the last 3 weeks . Despite that you still have this well-being sense you are gaining positive vibes every new day and I am sure that this will continue for the next 2-3 weeks until you reach a plateau. But till then I will follow and I would like to try a similar approach in the near future as life isn't so good with me lately.