Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odd Dreams/ Benzos
I have really never post a thread, I stay low key, but I am wanting some advice if I could, or opinion on my life.  Alright I take 800mg Gabapentin In the morning , then 1mg xanax 4 times a day , < depends on mood >  I walk 2 miles everyday. < I am vegetarian who sought out a dietician before my journey>   I was just curious if anyone has crazy dreams borderline dreams.  Like I am living an alternative life in my dreams.  Am I lucid dreaming?  Some opinions would be nice my fellow friends   Also I sweat terribly in the mornings after I start the day, IDK , it just started, al this oddness. AND this is under a MD controlled regiment <rx wise>
your only as old as the last time you changed your mind !
I can relate Years back when I was taking Alprazolam 2mg 3 times a day, I got to the point where I was having CRAZY dreams. I was able to wake up from a dream and go back to sleep and go right back into the middle of the dream. I was also aware when I was dreaming and could control certain aspects of the dream but mostly I was just along for the ride if you call that. I learned that I had to watch the dosage of Alprazolam I take the 2mg 3 times a day was too much and once I reduced my dosage the dreams did go away mostly.
"Another Day In This Carnival Of Souls"
The Gaba was RX for a nerve issue I got in my neck when I was In a horrible head on collision some years back. The xanax I have been tapering because its not something I no long term will be good < I heard its hell getting off > so I try to keep my dose lower, but I have been doing that for over a year. I wonder why this almost lucid dreams are happening . Thanks ff and Furyan you have me thinking that it just might be something besides the meds, idk. Lets see what tonight holds
(03-29-2017, 07:36 PM)themadhatter420 Wrote: The Gaba was RX for a nerve issue I got in my neck when I was In a horrible head on collision some years back.  The xanax I have been tapering because its not something I no long term will be good <  I heard its hell getting off > so I try to keep my dose lower, but I have been doing that for over a year.  I wonder why this almost lucid dreams are happening .  Thanks ff and Furyan you have me thinking that it just might be something besides the meds, idk.  Lets see what tonight holds

Hey tmadhatter420, Yea the xanax will play games with your mind, at least they do for me. Good that your tapering off the xanax, I try to use as needed when stressing or cannot sleep just be careful, I have seen some people try and just quit and both ended up in the hospital. Nasty stuff to get off of..
"Another Day In This Carnival Of Souls"
Hello MadHatter!

While I am nooooo doctor, I've been off and on benzos for years. I tapered off two years ago. YES, for many this is QUITE normal. The benzos do dampen or "mask", or whatever word fits, some of our emotions. So, when we dream, all we have suppressed while awake (without realizing it, as in the medication suppressing a lot of feelings, etc.) comes out in our dreams. And in some VERY wackadoodle ways!

Some of mine were "way out there" as in weird, but some were just kind of more "normal" and yet so real, like say, a dream of having a conversation with my sister...and I'd be certain I did, then later realize I did not have that conversation with her, but that it was a dream.

This also happens to me whenever I take anti-depressants. And from what I hear from MANY people I know who are on benzos and/or AD's, or even tapering off of them, this happens to them, too.

Also, years ago when going through a horrible divorce, I asked my Pdoc if the medication sort of suppressed emotions during the day, and so they came out in my subconscious at night in dreams. Because we cannot medicate our subconscious. He said "ABSOLUTELLLLLLLLY! EXACTTTTLY RIGHT!" This was a psychiatrist who was on his way to retirement from a verrrrry long career. AND, he had no trouble telling a person a "Yes" or a "No" regarding their questions.  I mean, if he knew the answer.  If he did not, he would say "I don't know." Big Grin

If you look at side effects of Gabapentin, you may find that it too, can cause "vivid and/or strange dreams."

Okay, I just looked it up and found that it is common for those on Gabapentin to have vivid dreams, and many mentioned nightmares. There are also support forums online for those who have them from Gabapentin, etc.  

I am NOT saying you need a support forum!  I just wanted you to know about it because I found one right off, in such a short amount of time being online, which simply shows you that you are not alone, as in "the only one experiencing this." Shy

Abigail  Heart
(03-29-2017, 08:50 PM)Abigail Wrote: Hello MadHatter!

While I am nooooo doctor, I've been off and on benzos for years. I tapered off two years ago. YES, for many this is QUITE normal. The benzos do dampen or "mask", or whatever word fits, some of our emotions. So, when we dream, all we have suppressed while awake (without realizing it, as in the medication suppressing a lot of feelings, etc.) comes out in our dreams. And in some VERY wackadoodle ways!

Some of mine were "way out there" as in weird, but some were just kind of more "normal" and yet so real, like say, a dream of having a conversation with my sister...and I'd be certain I did, then later realize I did not have that conversation with her, but that it was a dream.

This also happens to me whenever I take anti-depressants. And from what I hear from MANY people I know who are on benzos and/or AD's, or even tapering off of them, this happens to them, too.

Also, years ago when going through a horrible divorce, I asked my Pdoc if the medication sort of suppressed emotions during the day, and so they came out in my subconscious at night in dreams. Because we cannot medicate our subconscious. He said "ABSOLUTELLLLLLLLY! EXACTTTTLY RIGHT!" This was a psychiatrist who was on his way to retirement from a verrrrry long career. AND, he had no trouble telling a person a "Yes" or a "No" regarding their questions.  I mean, if he knew the answer.  If he did not, he would say "I don't know." Big Grin

If you look at side effects of Gabapentin, you may find that it too, can cause "vivid and/or strange dreams."

Okay, I just looked it up and found that it is common for those on Gabapentin to have vivid dreams, and many mentioned nightmares. There are also support forums online for those who have them from Gabapentin, etc.  

I am NOT saying you need a support forum!  I just wanted you to know about it because I found one right off, in such a short amount of time being online, which simply shows you that you are not alone, as in "the only one experiencing this." Shy

Abigail  Heart

Thank you very much for your detailed post.  I would agree in my waking life I have a lot of stress and things out of my control, but I have never had any issue with Gabapentin, I will read more up on this, my dose was increased a year ago maybe just now my body recognizes it? Thanks for you thoughts Abigail Smile
Hello again, MadHatter!

I see now that you are tapering the X.  Oh, boy, YES...that'll do exactly what you are describing.  It is a very common symptom when tapering a benzo. This has happened to me so many, many times.  And yes, the X will definitely play with your mind as Furyan66 said.  Just take that taper verrrrry slowly.  

I know many who tapered off benzos, and some who went too fast, regretted it later. Some had no choice. Their doctors cut them off, or they just got sicker while taking them. I switched to Valium and tapered over three years, because I needed to go slow slow slow, after my failed taper that was much too fast before that.  I did not intend to ever go through anything like that again. Plus, I had to be able to function while tapering, so that's why I switched to a longer lasting benzo, Valium.  X is very hard to taper off of.  Most switch to Valium.  Each person is different, so just listen to your body and go slow. If you need to switch, you can go with Valium or Klonopin. It is one of the longer acting ones.  The failed taper I had was due to my doctor just stopping my Rx. I asked him how to taper and he didn't even answer me! So, I looked up the Professor Heather Ashton method online, and went even slower than she did in her studies years ago.  Most now find her taper too fast, but bless her, she is one who at least did a study on benzo tapering and how it is so different from tapering off other types of Rx meds. 

I had such weird dreams, awful ones. And, memories flashing into my mind from long ago. As if they happened the day before.  If that happens to you, and you get what I call "Chatter Brain", it's just another symptom of withdrawal.  Things that I had not thought of in YEARSSSSSSSSS I'd get mad about all over again! It was like every negative thought I ever had, or experience, was RIGHT THERE, in my mind, swirling around and around.  As if it had just happened.  

But it does go away.  It's a part of getting off benzos for many.  And, you may not get that symptom.  Just take it slow, and you'll do fine.

If you are feeling that out of control feeling during the day, then I can only imagine what kind of dreams you are having.  Again, I'm not a doctor, but I would say it's the X. 

It'll ease up. Just take it SLOW.  Shy

Abigail Heart
I've found the same thing happens when I don't take my full dose of Diaz at night or when I taper too quick. The dreams are CRAZY. My guess would be lowering one med and adding the gaba could certainly give you strange dreams.
whoever mentioned tapering and weird dreams think is up to smth,since exactly many times if i ever deviate and lower dosage,its like sleep becomes parallel life with some life like dreams.

since when normally dropping or experiencing wds many reach a state where one feels like losing touch with reality,and if you think about that maybe brains either overcompensate or because of shock to system release whatever it is that makes dreams so livid or nightmare like.
(03-30-2017, 05:26 PM)cmdline Wrote: whoever mentioned tapering and weird dreams think is up to smth,since exactly many times if i ever deviate and lower dosage,its like sleep becomes parallel life with some life like dreams.

since when normally dropping or experiencing wds many reach a state where one feels like losing touch with reality,and if you think about that maybe brains either overcompensate or because of shock to system release whatever it is that makes dreams so livid or nightmare like.

This could be true, but after 7 years around the same dose ,  its crazy to think I may be experiencing what a few are suggesting MAY be playing part , I would not consider < a 1 mg absence> of my meds should make a difference in my sleeping state,  but I sometime get the pin and needles feeling which I no is a side affect of Gabapentin and benzos