Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Music "Chat" Talking Points Behind the Music
Ok, So this thread is for talking points about Music, & Chatting about it !

• To discuss anything about music, facts, if met them, their effects of you, first time you heard them, or trends in music -
  • TALKING about ANYTHING musical.

Great idea from a member. Thank you. And this way there is a place to do it and not clutter up the flow of the Music Thread.

Oh that is not to say there wont be a few things posted on the music thread besides videos but I hope everyone understands the spirit of this, and the intent of it.

It is a win, win isnt it?

Please everyone chime in on what all this thread can be about. 

Add to the thread intent,    Cool  all Music Lovers.  Cool
April 1, 1984.

Music

1984 EDIT: MISS HEPBURN SHARED SOME MARVIN GAYE SONGS. AS I WAS CAREGIVING MY FATHER RITE THEN, I HAD TO VERIFY WHAT HAPPENED WITH HIS FATHER:

Marvin Gaye is shot and killed by his own father

At the peak of his career, Marvin Gaye was the Prince of Motown—the soulful voice behind hits as wide-ranging as “How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)” and “Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology).” Like his label-mate Stevie Wonder, Gaye both epitomized and outgrew the crowd-pleasing sound that made Motown famous. Over the course of his roughly 25-year recording career, he moved successfully from upbeat pop to “message” music to satin-sheet soul, combining elements of Smokey Robinson, Bob Dylan and Barry White into one complicated and sometimes contradictory package. But as the critic Michael Eric Dyson put it, the man who “chased away the demons of millions…with his heavenly sound and divine art” was chased by demons of his own throughout his life. That life came to a tragic end on this day 1984, when Marvin Gaye was shot and killed by his own father one day short of his 45th birthday.

If the physical cause of Marvin Gaye’s death was straightforward—”Gunshot wound to chest perforating heart, lung and liver,” according to the Los Angeles County Coroner—the events that led to it were much more tangled. On the one hand, there was the longstanding conflict with his father dating back to childhood. Marvin Gay, Sr., (the “e” was added by his son for his stage name) was a preacher in the Hebrew Pentecostal Church and a proponent of a strict moral code he enforced brutally with his four children. He was also, by all accounts, a hard-drinking cross-dresser who personally embodied a rather complicated model of morality. By some reports, Marvin Sr. harbored significant envy over his son’s tremendous success, and Marvin Jr. clearly harbored unresolved feelings toward his abusive father.

Those feelings spilled out for the final time in the Los Angeles home of Marvin Gay, Sr., and his wife Alberta. Their son the international recording star had moved into his parents’ home in late 1983 at a low point in his struggle with depression, debt and cocaine abuse. Only one year removed from his first Grammy win and from a triumphant return to the pop charts with “Sexual Healing,” Marvin Gaye was in horrible physical, psychological and financial shape, and now he found himself living in the same house as the man who must have been at the root of many of his struggles.

After an argument between father and son escalated into a physical fight on the morning of April 1, 1984, Alberta Gay was trying to calm her son in his bedroom when Marvin Sr. took a revolver given to him by Marvin Jr. and shot him three times in his chest. Marvin Gaye’s brother, Frankie, who lived next door, and who held the legendary singer during his final minutes, later wrote in his memoir that Marvin Gaye’s final, disturbing statement was, “I got what I wanted….I couldn’t do it myself, so I made him do it.”
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

Great way to have a place to talk about music.

So many interesting posts can be made here.

Charon, I knew the story about Marvin Gaye's death, but it had been a long time since I heard it.

Nice way to honor the Music - to talk about songs and musicians

I can't claim a favorite really... It's too difficult to choose    Huh    

I have many favorites and it depends upon my mood that day, I suppose. 

Or the mood I'd like to have.    LOL

Thanks for beginning this thread, Linville.   I see great potential for it.

(Hi  Audrey, don't want you to feel left out   Wink   )
"Let your tongue speak what your heart thinks."   --Davy Crockett
My mum and aunt both went to see The Beatles when they played in the city they were living in , my mum told me they could hardly hear a bit of the music due to all the young girls screaming their lungs out , spoilt it , even The Beatles got fed up with all the screaming and never toured again , stayed in the studio and made classics like Sgt Pepper and The White album .

I can remember the sunny day I heard about Marvin Gaye , really sad and very messed up with his father pulling the trigger .
I didn't know all that about his father drinking and cross dressing , very sad still .

There is far too much music out there for me to claim any one song or group as a favorite , I love too much of it to single one song out , I could make a list but would be typing all through the night .

Great idea talking about the music rather than just posting vids , enjoying it already .
Has anyone seen the new Taylor swift song? and if you have your thoughts/

for someone who seen as a " nice girl" she bottles up her rage and writes snealy vindictive songs.

1994. 25 Year Reunion of Woodstock in upper state New York. 4 Days in a field listening to music 24 hours a day. Made another once in a lifetime memory back then. Amazing Event and so peaceful. EVERYONE there were friends and I did not see one fight. People can be kind, nice and love one another. Amazing Music, Amazing People, Amazing weekend I will remember til the end of my dayz.

Never thought I'd get to see a Moonstock too.

Feel Blessed to have been able to attend ALL of the Music Festivals and concerts I have went too. Music one of the best forms of therapy I know of.
"Another Day In This Carnival Of Souls"
(08-30-2017, 09:46 AM)Audrey Hepburn Wrote: OMG Furyan66!!! I JUST watched a video of Ozzy playing Moonfest! Totally reminds me of 5he old Springfest days. Lol.  Smile

Hey Audrey,

Yea he played a special concert on 10/21 for the Eclipse. I am lucky to be close enough to the area where we has 100% Total Eclipse. Was laying in the middle of a field watching the eclipse with my ISO certified glasses of course... LoL. As soon as we had total eclipse it got dark like night and Ozzy came out singing Bark At The Moon with EVERYONE there. I feel very lucky to have been able to watch the eclipse jamming to a live Ozzy show. Cannot think of a better way....

Totally Cool.

The guy still puts on a great show  as well

Well I can check that one off my Bucket List
Total Solar Eclipse while jamming with Ozzy - Check

Peace All
"Another Day In This Carnival Of Souls"
well Audrey, how did your GPS do for you this time, grins.  Big Grin

Oh and I meant to post a song on youtube about Ozzy singing during the eclipse that I found and ask Fury if he "remembered" seeing it,  Cool
Hi Audrey,  Im in if I can think later today,    Smile 

Rolling Stones.

Whelp 2 cups of coffee and look what happened.
Good Morning Audrey & Linville. I posted a couple of songs that I loved back in the early 70s. My sister & I were in the Partridge Family fan club. We & all our friends were obsessed with David Cassidy. lol

Linville I don't know how I missed this. It's a terrific idea for the music thread so we don't slow things down there with music talk. Thank you.
This too shall pass. Heart