Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your favorite foreign accent?
Hey everyone,
Just curious. My favorite is the Scottish accent. I do not know why. It has always been my favorite. I can listen to Sean Connery all day. Especially liked when he laid it on thick in "The Untouchables". What about the movie "Trainspotting"? I must have seen it a half dozen times and I still can't figure out every single word those kids are saying, but I like trying. Anyone care to share their favorite?
Hey Rafterman,
Irish today. Dolores O'Riordan's death made me sad.
(01-16-2018, 02:55 AM)Blockhead59 Wrote: Hey Rafterman,
Irish today. Dolores O'Riordan's death made me sad.

Wow, BH. I hadn't even read that she had died. I don't know how I missed it. That is so tragic. Talk had always been that she battled mental illness for most of her life but was pulling out of it is recent year. So sad.
Hey Rafterman:

If I were able to speak in an alternate accent, then it would surely be the Afrikaner's dialect of South Africa. Often mistakenly identified as Australian, which would not be a bad choice, the Dutch influence on the Afrikaner's accent is very appealing to me.

The Scottish and Irish accents are delightful as well (and much closer to my roots). Still, there is something exotic about the voice of the Afrikaner that appeals to me most.

Blackbird

Off Topic a Little Bit:

The Untouchables is on my list of Top Ten all time favorite movies!!! Thanks for mentioning it.

Da Boid
I didn't even realize Dolores O'Riordan had passed away! I'll have to look into that more. I did love them back in the day, and saw them a free concert when they were smaller, the crowd was terrible. I'm not sure whether it was because it was a free small show, or if it was just a bad crowd, but they were throwing clumps of grass and dirt up on stage and water bottles.....the Cranberries eventually just left. It was terrible. I really liked them. I had a slight obsession with anything Irish back then, and do a bit now. My family comes from Irish and Swedish ancestry. I'd say my favorite accent is Northern Irish. I just have a warm place in my heart for that specifically.

(01-18-2018, 05:00 AM)Raven Wrote: Hey Rafterman:

If I were able to speak in an alternate accent, then it would surely be the Afrikaner's dialect of South Africa. Often mistakenly identified as Australian, which would not be a bad choice, the Dutch influence on the Afrikaner's accent is very appealing to me.

The Scottish and Irish accents are delightful as well (and much closer to my roots). Still, there is something exotic about the voice of the Afrikaner that appeals to me most.

Blackbird

Off Topic a Little Bit:

The Untouchables is on my list of Top Ten all time favorite movies!!! Thanks for mentioning it.

Da Boid
Hey Raven,
Thank you for turning me on to that accent! I went and found some samples of it on one of my favorite websites (Not sure if I am allowed to post a live link, so just type in "idea dialects archive" on your fav SE and hear thousands of different accents from all over the world). I can see why you like this one so much. It was hard to stop listening to. I love the Dutch influence that comes through. Do you know of any movie that features it? I would love to hear more of it.  RM
I can't think of any movies, but there are a couple of TV personalities from South Africa worthy of mention:

Lara Logan (60 Minutes) is from SA. Her accent is a bit watered-down but it doesn't seem to matter since she is such a vision of beauty to watch. She is routinely imbedded with US armed forces and has filed a number of reports from very risky places in Iraq and Afghanistan. She was seriously brutalized by an Egyptian mob during one of her reports on the Arab Spring. This lady has a lot of guts!

Trevor Noah (The Daily Show) is also from SA. His accent is a bit more evident, but still not the same as a native just out of the box.

I'm going to have to think a bit more on this, but I think we both agree, It is a most interesting accent.

Raven
(01-20-2018, 03:41 AM)Raven Wrote: I can't think of any movies, but there are a couple of TV personalities from South Africa worthy of mention:

Lara Logan (60 Minutes) is from SA. Her accent is a bit watered-down but it doesn't seem to matter since she is such a vision of beauty to watch. She is routinely imbedded with US armed forces and has filed a number of reports from very risky places in Iraq and Afghanistan. She was seriously brutalized by an Egyptian mob during one of her reports on the Arab Spring. This lady has a lot of guts!

Trevor Noah (The Daily Show) is also from SA. His accent is a bit more evident, but still not the same as a native just out of the box.

I'm going to have to think a bit more on this, but I think we both agree, It is a most interesting accent.

Raven
Wow, Lara Logan. Saw her on CBS a couple of times. Hard to even pay attention to her accent with those looks of hers. Whew. Anyhow, thanks, Raven. This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for when starting this thread.  RM
(01-18-2018, 09:49 PM)ComeDayGoDay Wrote: I didn't even realize Dolores O'Riordan had passed away! I'll have to look into that more. I did love them back in the day, and saw them a free concert when they were smaller, the crowd was terrible. I'm not sure whether it was because it was a free small show, or if it was just a bad crowd, but they were throwing clumps of grass and dirt up on stage and water bottles.....the Cranberries eventually just left. It was terrible. I really liked them. I had a slight obsession with anything Irish back then, and do a bit now. My family comes from Irish and Swedish ancestry. I'd say my favorite accent is Northern Irish. I just have a warm place in my heart for that specifically.

Hi ComeDayGoDay. It's so sad. She was what, only 46. I felt awful when I heard. Really liked The Cranberries back in the day, too. And still do. Northern Irish always sounded Scottish to me. It's a good one.
GMy husband’s French accent. It beats my American one!