Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To quit smoke. How?
I smoked all my life - for decades. Three years ago I just felt the need to quit, - and I did it! I quit extremely lightly: no suffering, no withdrawal symptoms. Just smoked, - and stopped. I did not expect this to be so easy. I was disgusted with the smell of tobacco smoke, and I considered smokers with a slight contempt and some superiority: I could to do it and now I am free, while they remained slaves of dependence. And then three years passed, and again I need cigarettes. My body just has a great need for nicotine. And I understand that I won’t be able to quit now just easy for the second time, — it will require a very difficult fight with myself. I want to quit smoking - and I can’t. Perhaps some of you have come across such a situation, and can give useful advice. It's amazing how easy I quit three years ago, - and how hard it is for me to do it now. I would be grateful for any advice, your own experience in fighting with it, and for explaining why this is even could be possible.
(02-07-2020, 02:55 AM)Psyboi Wrote: First off seems like you are dealing with stress and anxiety and do not know this + not considering your outside factors, as quitting can be easy when you are less tense and less stressed. I found that quitting for me "personally" worked by using vapes than eventually I got sick of them, had to refill this, fix that, oh my god the stress when you are late for work and your vape is not ready than I started hearing horror stories, and don't even vape anymore (quit cold turkey). Best advice I can give is start vaping, and lower the nic level. If you quit before, and are back in the cycle think logically....you can do this, you already have "the power". but yea for myself, vaping helped me quit the smoke, and eventually i quit the vape. nicotine free. @ the end of the day though we are all biological creatures, and you need to find the "program" or way you quit previously and recreate your positive actions.

Wishing you the best, Psy

Thanks, Psy! Going to try IQOS with low nic heets. Already ordered. )
I’ve tried everything and have used Tobbaco since I was 16.  So 27 years.  I have got Chantix from my doctor yesterday.  I’ve not started it yet as I’m on antibiotics for a infection in my hand.  And now on another because I got something called thrush.  So maybe another week I’ll start it and this better work.
(02-07-2020, 04:36 PM)JK1976 Wrote: I’ve tried everything and have used Tobbaco since I was 16.  So 27 years.  I have got Chantix from my doctor yesterday.  I’ve not started it yet as I’m on antibiotics for a infection in my hand.  And now on another because I got something called thrush.  So maybe another week I’ll start it and this better work.

Wish success to all of us. Have to tell that IQOS is quite not like classical smoking  — no tar, no smoke, no carcinogen, — more like a nicotine patch or so. Someone said that the main thing in smoking is to observe the smoke itself, but this is not here. Believe that IQOS or GLO is the right way to our aim.
Best way I've learned is from experience been smoking cigarettes for 3 years I moved to high milligram Nic salt it is a godsend and good news Buds, lads and chaps! Those are all over the place at YOUR LOCAL smoke shop
"There's no place like home.”
Gave up smoking myself couple years ago.
Only after several failed starts.

Go ahead- pick a day, substitute another crutch for it, - whatever helps - there is no judgment on you.

< advice > -yeah it wasn't easy, but the thought that carried me through was to----- never quit trying to quit >>

Wishing you the best in your endeavor.

Folken............. Cool
I had it. I tried everything to quit.. and was successful for short bouts of time. I quit about 6-8 months before we tried to get pregnant.
My son had colic for over 6 months. It was absolute hell. I started again when he was about 4 months. I never smoked around him.. only when my husband was out of town. I got so sick of the smell, the trying to hide it, etc. that I was out with friends.. looked and saw I had 1/2 a pack left. I was done. I literally smoked a half a pack of cigarettes in an hour. I was so sick and disgusted I never smoked again....
(02-12-2020, 05:28 AM)Laxfinity Wrote: I had it.  I tried everything to quit.. and was successful for short bouts of time.  I quit about 6-8 months before we tried to get pregnant.
My son had colic for over 6 months.  It was absolute hell.  I started again when he was about 4 months.  I never smoked around him.. only when my husband was out of town.  I got so sick of the smell, the trying to hide it, etc. that I was out with friends..  looked and saw I had 1/2 a pack left. I was done.  I literally smoked a half a pack of cigarettes in an hour.  I was so sick and disgusted I never smoked again....

Sympathize with you. My condition is much easier.
I switched to a low tar and nicotine cigarette (Carlton) first then quit cold turkey a month later. After that it’s one day at a time and each day the cravings lessen. I tried the slowly cutting back method, but that didn’t work for me.
I quit quite easily the first time and after a couple of years drifted back into smoking occasionally, then that became more regular, and you can guess the rest. My second proper attempt at giving up was harder, but I did it. That said, even a decade later I still have the occasional craving for a cigarette. 

Anyway, I was a very heavy smoker so I reduced the number so I was only smoking one pack a day (20). Then I started smoking less of the cigarette - just enough to take the cravings away. Then maybe inhale a bit into my mouth so I could taste it, but not down into my lungs. That way I got used to far less nicotine.

Finally I realised that in my failed attempts to give up I'd always kept my lighters and ashtrays "just in case". This time I threw them out. I felt as though keeping them was like I'd already anticipated failing to give up. If I was truly quitting I wouldn't need these things.

Good luck.