Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Just bizarre. Hiccups...
hxxps://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hiccups/symptoms-causes/syc-20352613

Hiccups
Symptoms & causes
Diagnosis & treatment
Print
Overview
Illustration showing what causes hiccups
Hiccups: What causes themOpen pop-up dialog box
Hiccups are involuntary contractions of the diaphragm — the muscle that separates your chest from your abdomen and plays an important role in breathing. Each contraction is followed by a sudden closure of your vocal cords, which produces the characteristic "hic" sound.

Hiccups may result from a large meal, alcoholic or carbonated beverages or sudden excitement. In some cases, hiccups may be a sign of an underlying medical condition. For most people, a bout of hiccups usually lasts only a few minutes. Rarely, hiccups may persist for months. This can result in weight loss and exhaustion.

Products & Services
Book: Mayo Clinic Book of Home Remedies
Symptoms
Hiccupping is a symptom. It may sometimes be accompanied by a slight tightening sensation in your chest, abdomen or throat.

When to see a doctor
Make an appointment to see your doctor if your hiccups last more than 48 hours or if they are so severe that they cause problems with eating, sleeping or breathing.

From Mayo Clinic to your inbox
Sign up for free, and stay up to date on research advancements, health tips and current health topics, like COVID-19, plus expertise on managing health.

Enter your email
EmailLearn more about Mayo Clinic’s use of data.
Subscribe!
Request an Appointment at Mayo Clinic
Causes
The most common triggers for hiccups that last less than 48 hours include:

Drinking carbonated beverages
Drinking too much alcohol
Eating too much
Excitement or emotional stress
Sudden temperature changes
Swallowing air with chewing gum or sucking on candy
Hiccups that last more than 48 hours may be caused by a variety of factors, which can be grouped into the following categories.

Nerve damage or irritation
A cause of long-term hiccups is damage to or irritation of the vagus nerves or phrenic nerves, which serve the diaphragm muscle. Factors that may cause damage or irritation to these nerves include:

A hair or something else in your ear touching your eardrum
A tumor, cyst or goiter in your neck
Gastroesophageal reflux
Sore throat or laryngitis
Central nervous system disorders
A tumor or infection in your central nervous system or damage to your central nervous system as a result of trauma can disrupt your body's normal control of the hiccup reflex. Examples include:

Encephalitis
Meningitis
Multiple sclerosis
Stroke
Traumatic brain injury
Tumors
Metabolic disorders and drugs
Long-term hiccups can be triggered by:

Alcoholism
Anesthesia
Barbiturates
Diabetes
Electrolyte imbalance
Kidney disease
Steroids
Tranquilizers
Risk factors
Men are much more likely to develop long-term hiccups than are women. Other factors that may increase your risk of hiccups include:

Mental or emotional issues. Anxiety, stress and excitement have been associated with some cases of short-term and long-term hiccups.
Surgery. Some people develop hiccups after undergoing general anesthesia or after procedures that involve abdominal organs.
Complications
Prolonged hiccups may interfere with:

Eating
Sleeping
Speech
Wound healing after surgery

By Mayo Clinic Staff
Request an Appointment at Mayo Clinic
Diagnosis & treatment
May 24, 2017PrintShare on: FacebookTwitter
Show references
Related
Hiccups: What causes them
Associated Procedures
Chest X-rays
CT scan
MRI
Products & Services
Book: Mayo Clinic Book of Home Remedies
Hiccups
Symptoms & causes
Diagnosis & treatment

Mayo Clinic does not endorse companies or products. Advertising revenue supports our not-for-profit mission.

Mayo Clinic Press
Check out these best-sellers and special offers on books and newsletters from Mayo Clinic Press.

NEW – The Essential Diabetes Book - Mayo Clinic PressNEW – The Essential Diabetes Book
Cook Smart, Eat Well – 2 FREE recipes - Mayo Clinic PressCook Smart, Eat Well – 2 FREE recipes
NEW – Mayo Clinic on Hearing and Balance - Mayo Clinic PressNEW – Mayo Clinic on Hearing and Balance
FREE Mayo Clinic Diet Assessment - Mayo Clinic PressFREE Mayo Clinic Diet Assessment
Mayo Clinic Health Letter - FREE book - Mayo Clinic PressMayo Clinic Health Letter - FREE book

Yes, I am just a Ray of Sunshine with the topics i put up.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

Apparently baclofen can be used to treat them, although this info from the Mayo Clinic seems to suggest chronic cases are best investigated.

UK vs US spelling fun... in British English a hiccup is a hiccough. There's my useless trivia ;-)
Where I grew up, we were taught to speak in a somewhat British fashion. I did think whether I should use the word hiccup, which is not customary for me, or hiccough as I learned growing up.

I pray u r having a good nite/day there Barq. We are all so quiet in here.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

(06-23-2022, 11:49 PM)Charon Wrote: Where I grew up, we were taught to speak in a somewhat British fashion. I did think whether I should use the word hiccup, which is not customary for me, or hiccough as I learned growing up.

I pray u r having a good nite/day there Barq. We are all so quiet in here.

Good to hear from you Charon. I remember you commented on your somewhat British pronounciation before... I think it was the word "schedule" although I have no idea of the context! Smile 

Take care my friend.