Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
going off benzos and living
What patients — and doctors — should know about ‘benzo’ withdrawal
By Sharon Goldman
September 2, 2023 at 7:00 a.m. EDT

Valium tablets. An estimated 30 million adults in the United States take benzodiazepines such as Klonopin, Ativan, Xanax and Valium for anxiety, stress and related mental health conditions. (AP)
Listen
6 min

Comment
When my primary care doctor prescribed Klonopin to treat my severe anxiety in the months before and after major surgery in December 2021, I had no idea that getting off the drug later — as well as the Ambien I had taken for over a decade — would become a nightmare.

Live well every day with tips and guidance on food, fitness and mental health, delivered to your inbox every Thursday.
After struggling to quit on my own, and unsure of where to turn, an online search led me to several frightening, confusing weeks in detox and rehab facilities. Despite the intervention, I still suffered what seemed like endless sleepless nights, heart palpitations, severe agitation and tremors. As it turns out, I was one of the lucky ones — my withdrawal could have been not just miserable but also long-lasting or even life-threatening.

An estimated 30 million adults in the United States take benzodiazepines such as Klonopin, Ativan, Xanax and Valium for anxiety, stress and related mental health conditions. Millions more take sedative-hypnotics including Ambien for sleep, which, like “benzos,” work on a specific brain neurotransmitter called gamma-aminobutyric acid, or GABA.

Yet there is little awareness about the consequences of withdrawing from long-term use or high doses of these medications and how to do it safely. Even primary care physicians — who write half of all benzodiazepine prescriptions — are often unaware that a slow, supervised taper off the drugs is necessary.

“The vast majority of doctors don’t think that these medicines are addictive or habit forming,” says Anna Lembke, a psychiatry professor at Stanford University School of Medicine and chief of the Stanford Addiction Medicine Dual Diagnosis Clinic. The medical community often “overestimates the benefits and underestimates the risks of long-term benzodiazepine use.”

The higher the dose, the greater chance of harm
A safe taper typically takes much longer than a week-long detox or 28-day stay in rehab — an average of six to 12 months, experts say.

Last year, the Food and Drug Administration announced that it would commit up to $2 million to fund efforts to generate new guidelines for safe withdrawal from benzodiazepines. Experts say the move is desperately needed.

Music can serve as therapy. Here’s how it can help reduce anxiety.

Benzodiazepines, and “Z-drugs” like Ambien (generic name: zolpidem), are not meant for long-term use. “There is no reliable evidence for efficacy beyond a few weeks, and we know that the longer people are on benzodiazepines, and the higher the dose, the more likely they are to suffer harms related to them,” Lembke says.

In 2020, the FDA added its “most prominent safety warning” — a boxed warning — to benzodiazepine packaging clarifying that “physical dependence can occur when benzodiazepines are taken steadily for several days to weeks.” And Ambien’s FDA warnings have been updated over the years to make clear it is indicated for “short-term treatment of insomnia” — meaning not longer than a few weeks.

But many physicians fail to follow the guidelines. One reason is that doctors typically don’t learn much, if anything, about the drugs in medical school, Lembke says.

Share this article
Even those doctors who understand the dangers don’t realize the withdrawal challenges, says Sarah Nadav, who recently founded a company called Coheal that offers online services to help people withdraw safely from benzodiazepines. “Many people come to us who are being abruptly cut off by their doctor,” she says.

Research estimates that some 10 to 15 percent of patients taking the drugs long-term will experience protracted withdrawal syndrome if withdrawal is done too quickly, and “cold turkey” withdrawal can cause seizures, including potentially fatal ones.

Often, patients lack the health literacy to understand what they may face, especially if they stay on the drugs for more than three months, says Alexis Ritvo, an assistant psychiatry professor at University of Colorado Medicine and medical director of the nonprofit Alliance for Benzodiazepine Best Practices.

“They just know that in the short term, they work really well,” she says. “Then they realize if they don’t take them, they can’t sleep or they feel anxious or irritable,” but they may not understand that these are signs of physical dependence on the drugs. Even dosages can be misleading, she says — for instance, the half-milligram of Klonopin I took fairly regularly over a period of four months may not sound like much, but it is equivalent to 10 milligrams of Valium.

All withdrawals don’t look alike
Nadav says she has been through protracted withdrawal syndrome: Six weeks after starting to taper off Xanax and Ambien in 2021, “my hands and my head were shaking, I was hallucinating,” she says. While the delirium (a well-documented symptom) resolved within three months, the symptom can be dangerous — and Nadav says her doctor should have sent her to the emergency room.

For Nicole Lamberson, a former physician’s assistant who went to detox 13 years ago to get off Xanax, Klonopin and Ambien, the struggle is ongoing. After years of being bedridden, she is still unable to work full time.

“It’s a very slow healing of the nervous system, which has been like clawing my way out of hell,” she says.

A recent article in the journal PLOS One gave voice to patients like these, showing that discontinuing benzodiazepine use can be “associated with nervous system injury and negative life effects that continue after discontinuation.”

Co-author Christy Huff, a cardiologist and director of the Benzodiazepine Information Coalition, says she is also a patient. “Even though I took my medication as prescribed, I still experience symptoms on a daily basis after four years off of benzodiazepines,” she says.

ADVERTISING

The ideal withdrawal scenario is one the patient can tolerate, Lembke says, and that differs from person to person. Even if you don’t see yourself as “addicted,” she suggests seeking an addiction doctor who knows how to properly manage withdrawal — “until we better educate the average doctor.”

For prescribers, the Benzodiazepine Information Coalition and the Alliance for Benzodiazepine Best Practices have many resources, Ritvo adds.

“We need to figure out how to support the prescribers to help them navigate this, so that it’s not just ‘I won’t prescribe these’ or ‘I take people off really quickly,’” she says.

I wish I had understood the options before going down my own path of withdrawing from Klonopin and Ambien. While I feel lucky to have healed with no lasting ill effects, in hindsight I wish I had slowly tapered off the drugs. Instead, I had a hard landing.

Sign up for the Well+Being newsletter, your source of expert advice and simple tips to help you live well every day

Read more from Well+Being
Well+Being shares news and advice for living well every day. Sign up for our newsletter
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

Literally just had a chat with my psychiatrist earlier today, as me like clockwork as they get to those last five minutes the prescription pad comes out and the only question I’m EVER asked is “do you ever feel overly drowsy?” Well of COURSE NOT, I have hyperthyroidism, like half a dozen severe and interrelated neuroses, etc. etc., could not be more “high strung”. That said it does absolutely nothing insofar as insulating me against the damaging effects of long-term habituation to benzodiazepines… but all this being said, if they’re prescribing it and blissfully unaware of how severe my own physical dependence is (not psychologically, have never “enjoyed” them nor abused them in any way) but nonetheless I have a substantial ongoing dependence that if ever rapidly interrupted would be catastrophic. At least now doctors are starting to realize the serious long-term harm that can be done, but even knowing better (than my own doctor(s)), I still find it very difficult to decline the prescriptions/live my life in a quasi-normal way… talk about a double edged sword.
I won't experience anxiety for 12 months. I was put on V when i was sixteen. I was A high performer in school. I had family and men i dated, doctors, whom insisted i stay on it. Bout fifty years now.

So, as things look bleak with UPS not moving at the moment and my other health issues, I shall anticipate a coronary fairly soon when i am forced to just stop.

I believe I am ready with the God I serve.

(09-07-2023, 12:10 AM)Charon Wrote: I won't experience anxiety for 12 months. I was put on V when i was sixteen. I was A high performer in school. I had family and men i dated, doctors, whom insisted i stay on it. Bout fifty years now.

So, as things look bleak with UPS not moving at the moment and my other health issues, I shall anticipate a coronary fairly soon when i am forced to just stop.

I believe I am ready with the God I serve.

I for one have faith that everything will be ok 
Smile

Just wanted to post this here
Our NIH has no clue how to detox a person
I only pray that no health care individual follows the advise from this approved NIH literature -
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK310652/
This one from 09 - All the new lit is just hodge podge of uneducated online practioners that have never seen a real patient

I know posted on here is an actual protocol that is safe and works - been several years ago - but its the right way

Seems like todays NIH is almost promoting genocide - IMHO
I am a bit surprised that so many are prescribed benzos. It seems impossible these days.
well i would not say we all are scripted benzos at this time. one can find drs to do so but too expensive. and i wont do drs anymore.

i order them online. With my medical history and disability giving me pennies for seizures, strokes, ms, lupus, parkinsons, I imagine a dr may have the intestinal fortitude to script for me.

But i don't do drs. anymore at all.

I feel your pain. I'm sick of wasting my time and money jumping through hoops trying to get the minimal few meds I need to exist comfortably on a day today basis. I recently started suboxone treatment and during the intake the Dr. asked what else I was taking daily and when I told him the med and the mg He just shook his head and said. "I'm not gonna prescribe any benzo's. You're gonna have to go to a psychiatrist for that". After that he was almost adamant that I stay and do the in house supervised 7-14 day detox and I barely made it out of there without him pretty much forcing me to do it I work and simply would not survive that financial hit of missing those days of work. He kept going on and on about how dangerous it is to jump off of such a high dose so quickly but still refused to prescribe anything to help even for a quick taper.
Sorry to hear Benny. I too no longer go to any place for assistance. I actually am almost completely done with the feeling of 15 year of that program you speak of. It’s been weeks since the last. And with help of different methods I’m so very close to freedom. Feelings are strong right now. Most thankful they are fillled with gratitude once and a while and not all negative.

The uneducated is rampant. The one shaking head has no idea they are actually causing the danger and if done one of 30 ways is safe. I offer you my support may you ever need. I just like to put out for boundary sake I am no one special here. If anything I have been under achieving and working on this daily. In a nut shell, I am just like you. I follow rules to the T as well. I refuse to disrespect what is very special.
I wish you my very best.
B

Spiritual growth. I convinced myself, was an ideal not meant 
for me to achieve. To the few who guided me to realize this not be true.
 Heart Heart I love eternally Heart Heart
Add sleep meds to that.  I'm tired of hearing nobody has died from lack of sleep.  However they have died from decreased cognition and not being able to properly complete inportant tasks. 

There are no z meds to be found.  Let's see the fall out in a few months.
(03-31-2024, 03:59 PM)TrayGold Wrote: Add sleep meds to that.  I'm tired of hearing nobody has died from lack of sleep.  However they have died from decreased cognition and not being able to properly complete inportant tasks. 

There are no z meds to be found.  Let's see the fall out in a few months.

I noticed the place in which I recently placed a hail marry order has a pretty impressive selection of z meds. Of course that's absolutely useless information until we know if they are scamming or not.