Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
new scam
Site logo image Scamicide
Scam of the day – July 31, 2023 – OneDrive Phishing Scam

Steven Weisman, Esq.

Jul 30

OneDrive is a popular cloud storage system of Microsoft that allows you to sync and save documents, pictures and files. Scammers send emails purporting to be from OneDrive, such as the one copied below that I received recently. If you click on the View File, you will either be lured into providing personal information that can lead to your becoming a victim of identity theft or download malware such as ransomware or keystroke logging malware that leads to your becoming a victim of identity theft.

Tonia Guarino used OneDrive to share a file with you, For security purposes you would be required to sign into your email address to view.

View File

Enjoy!
OneDrive Team
© 2023 OneDrive
TIPS

I was not expecting an email from the lawyer whose name appears in the email and so I contacted her office to confirm whether or not she had sent me documents through OneDrive. She had not. The lesson here is to never click on any links in any email unless you have absolutely confirmed that the email is legitimate. It is also important to remember that even if you have the most up to date security software, it will not protect you from the latest forms of malware which exploit what are called zero day defects. It generally takes the security software companies about a month to provide a security update for the particular malware which is why you should always install the latest security updates as soon as they become available.

If you are not a subscriber to Scamicide.com and would like to receive daily emails with the Scam of the day, all you need to do is to go to the bottom of the initial page of http://www.scamicide.com and type in your email address where it states "Sign up for this blog."

Unsubscribe to no longer receive posts from Scamicide.
Change your email settings at manage subscriptions.

Trouble clicking? Copy and paste this URL into your browser:
hxxps://scamicide.com/2023/07/30/scam-of-the-day-july-31-2023-onedrive-phishing-scam/
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel