Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Benzodiazepine Withdrawal support
Through reading, I've found that the following list of 'meds' can help benzo (diazepam in my case) withdrawal.

Pregabalin
Gabbapentin
Phenibut
Baclophen
Etizolam
Picamilon

Anyone recommend one over the rest?

Thanks
From personal exp., i would chosse Etizolam combined with a lot of running etc etc. Keep ur mind thinking of anything els but Benzos... But i would still visit Heathers site.. Highly recomended Smile
(08-23-2016, 11:19 AM)scooter3079 Wrote: I had a horrible time when I went off. Seeing things etc. Had to to the er for 3 days

Coming off benzos is a terrible thing. Excersice actually helps a lot, you just have to force yourself to do it. Good luck!
I pretty much agree with the all recommendations from our members.

Of all the meds listed by IS the only ones not requiring a script is Phenibut, Etizolam and Picamilon though that may have changed recently. Scripted beta-blockers like propanolol are also good.

For those that have anxiety induced IBS-d, yes Heather's website is worth a shot. I haven't ordered from them yet but will be in the near future.

I have a relative who has been on anxiety meds and anti-depressants for decades and he recently told me he hasn't had a Klon in a month. His solution has been meditation and it is working well for him. I keep trying meditation, but I need to fully commit and practice, practice, practice.

Exercise and of course hydration have always worked for me. My favorite form is hiking in the mountains. I ALWAYS return from a hiking/backpacking trip more relaxed and energized. Again, I need to commit to more regular outings.

Finally, as I feel I'm on the edge of going down the rabbit hole, I need a whole host of options to stay out of that hole.

This is a great thread and thanks to everyone who has contributed.
MoJim
Benzo withdrawal is awful. The last time I went through it, I didn't sleep for almost two weeks. As others mentioned, a beta blocker helped me feel a bit less of the jumping out of skin feeling, and Seroquel helped with sleep.
Been through this hell more than once. Long half life benzo for taper and Trazadone for sleep works well. Avoid caffeine and nicotine because they exasperate the symptoms. There's no painless solution but certainly some steps that can help.
Been through it many, many times. Was prescribed them by my pediatrician as a teen but never told NOT to "just stop" taking them. Sometimes my mom had it refilled, sometimes she didn't. We did not know and we were not told that going cold turkey off benzos can be dangerous.

I went through YEARS of going cold turkey off and on. Didn't know it was the Rx doing it. Thought it was all kinds of things. Got my blood sugar tested, tested by a neurologist for epilepsy, went through a REALLY difficult and scary time.

Then years later after stopping them, went through a drawn out divorce. Was put on an SSRI and a benzo. The SSRI really helped me as did the benzo, and I got employment as an administrator for a large group of offices. I stayed there about 10 years. But I only used the Rx for that first year. Then after being overworked and used badly at this extremely toxic workplace after many years, I started the benzo regularly again.

Trying to come off of it after those other times, I recognized immediately that what I had been going through in school all those years ago was benzo withdrawal. I don't know how I managed it then, nor how I managed good grades.

The last time coming off of them was the hardest thing I have ever been through in my life. But I also have to say, I went too fast. Even though it was considered "slow." So I started over, using a longer half life benzo, just like what germanshepherd and others said. I also tapered verrrrrrry slowwwwwwwwwwwwly. I went MUCH, MUCH slower than Ashton's method, because if you have to function, you taper the way that is best for YOU. I cannot count the times I have cold turkeyed, not knowing what was happening, or anything about it.

Well, I know now, that is for sure.

It's not easy, but it's definitely doable. Propranolol helped as did an SSRI. I have been fortunate that I have never had a problem coming off the old SSRI's.
(05-17-2016, 05:25 PM)Insomnia_Sucks Wrote: Through reading, I've found that the following list of 'meds' can help benzo (diazepam in my case) withdrawal.

Pregabalin
Gabbapentin
Phenibut
Baclophen
Etizolam
Picamilon

Anyone recommend one over the rest?

Thanks

Pregabalin will help to a certain existent but I have done two tapers with the doctor and still after coming off and taking Pregabalin for a week I still felt the benzo withdrawal kick in. The worst feeling in the world Sad GOOD LUCK to anyone doing it, I wish I had it in me to stop and stay stopped!!!!!
the 10% dose reduction every two weeks recommended by Ashton can give bad w/d. I think it is easier on your body to do tiny reductions (like 0.5%) every day (after you get to a low stable dose). the titration method works kinda like that but is difficult to work into a busy daily routine. If you have a mg scale it makes things much easier. example, if your tabs weigh 200mg total, you can crush them, weigh them, and take 1mg less every day (put them into gel caps if you need to). After a few months, you'll have reduced almost 50% and barely notice any withdrawal.
Sal, I agree.

I think it's an individual thing up to a point, but a 10% reduction every two weeks is now considered by most to be much too fast. I never titrated, I just "dry cut". I took a lonnnnnnnng time, longer than "the norm" (if there is such a thing as a norm with this). Confused

Abigail  Heart