Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Benzo's and "tolerance withdrawal"
(07-15-2022, 01:46 AM)Kg300 Wrote: I’ve used antihistamines while tapering for years. It is effective as long as not in full blown withdrawal.

Most of the 1st generation antihistamines seem helpful for sleep, and some are good for anxiety as well (e.g. Atarax). Some are sold as sleeping pills or for motion sickness (OTC in the UK, and similar I think in the USA). Although you have to be careful what you say e.g. a friend using Piriton for sleep said just that, when the "correct" request is that it helps hayfever. The phar,acy didn't sell it to her.

There is a potential link between 1st gen antihistamines and dementia, but benzos aren't great for cognition either. All I can say is there is a decent study that shows turmeric minimises the cognitive issues with benzos. No, it isn't a perfect cure but turmeric is cheap and there are few recorded side effects. It is even cheaper if you cook with it, such as a North Indian curry.
Hi barq, I’ve heard that too about the link to dementia and it makes me very nervous. Always something to fuel the anxiety! I definitely am mindful of this as I used to take antihistamines nightly. I still do technically but at fractional of the normal. Great tip with the turmeric! Thank you!

KG