Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seroquel vs Alprazolam for sleep
(04-05-2017, 11:37 PM)Texas Chemist Wrote: You must have an 'old-school' doc mr nobody.  I haven't heard of a doctor prescribing tricyclics since I was in high school because SSRIs essentially replaced them as they started dispensing them like skittles.

If drowsiness is a side-effect of the tricyclics, which are/were typically prescribed for a very wide-range of conditions/symptoms, then writing a script for that reason would be analogous to a doctor prescribing Norco for those with depression because one of the side-effects is temporary euphoria.

Not trying to bash you in any way, but I would NEVER take a tricyclic antidepressant for sleep considering they have been around long enough for docs to know all of the side-effects that can come along with it.

I've personally found halcion to be the best for sleep for me.   I do believe it is the most potent benzo out on the market (not marketed in US anymore) at 0.25mg tablets will knock a full-grown man right out.  HALCION FOR THE WIN!!! LOL

I

Dear Texas Chemist-You are correct all the way.  However, there are docs out there who are prescribing seroquel-remeron and some tricyclics (will look up the one they are using) because they are not controlled/monitored the way benzos are and I myself would not be put through that kind of hell either.

You bring up another point THE RARE benzos like Halcion (triazolam) not in US and Restoril (temazepam) very hard to get-you pretty much have to go overseas were/are still the best there were...sigh I miss them Sad
mr nobody,

it is very unfortunate they stopped making Halcion in the US. As a matter of fact, I can't remember why they pulled it off in the first place. Possibly that pharma was about to begin the big push for the Z-drugs and thus started eliminating the benzos that had strong hypnotic properties? Just a guess, if anyone has a better idea of why please let me know..

But Halcion was and STILL IS regarded to this very day as being the best sleep aid there ever was. I absolutely love Halcion for it's short half-life (~3h I believe) so by the time you wake up, it always felt like I had the best sleep of my life. One downside to them though is if a person has trouble staying asleep and not necessarily falling asleep, then they might awake after only 4 hours of sleep and redosing that late at night is probably not a good idea unless you're planning on skipping work. lol

Luckily for me I've been using an IOP for a very long time that almost always has them in stock, and due to lack of availability elsewhere, I'd say the prices they for are more than reasonable.
One of our friends vending on this site has restoril on sale til april 15, cheapest I have ever seen it.
200mg each night for me. Works wonderful. I usually cut it in half to 100mg and take the other if I wake up in middle of the night.
My Dr. did at one point have me on Xanax during the day and Seroquel at bedtime.
Unfortunately I'd have an easier time getting buprenorphine than benzos, Sighh
But not wanting to derail the topic.
(05-15-2017, 08:27 AM)andybones Wrote: 200mg each night for me. Works wonderful. I usually cut it in half to 100mg and take the other if I wake up in middle of the night.
My Dr. did at one point have me on Xanax during the day and Seroquel at bedtime.
Unfortunately I'd have an easier time getting buprenorphine than benzos, Sighh
But not wanting to derail the topic.

Wow. That is a huge dose (I thought), until I found out that it can be prescribed at 400 mg. I'm prescribed 25 mg but I do wake up in the middle of the night and take another dose. Now I know that is okay, dosage wise. I do seem to be more sluggish in the morning though when I do that but nothing beats the horror of being wide awake at 3:00 am. Thanks for the info!

I could not imagine anyone being prescribed seroquel for daytime use. Zombie time, if they could stay awake.
Seroquel is on another level than benz. Seroquel is an anti psych med. Where as benz's are tranquilizers/ anti-anxiety. In my opinion there just too far apart to compare. Either your on a psych med or a tranq. Each serve a different purpose and ailment... From what I've seen from others using seroquel you black out. Nothing is good when you do that. Benz will help with your panic and anxiety. The other will knock you out cold and I'd rather have control over my ability to function. Hope you get some good answers.
Smile
"Love your life and love others around you"
Both of these meds are super serious. Not to be taken lightly.

I accidentally took clonazapam, a benzo considered much more mild than xannies, for too many days in a row and had to go through the worst WDs ever.

I haven't taken seroquel in a really long time. I remember it would knock me the f out and like you I would spill whatever drink I had in my hand at the time. Which was quite often back then milk I had been dunking oreos in. Ugh, lol, my matress now looks like I shit all over it. hahaha

Just be careful brother
That's hilarious.
not at the time it occurred, my friend, i bet.

although i was putting a former music star thru rehab. while he practiced the new album to record, i drew murals on the walls. damn step stool collapsed on me. bit of a break in my leg. a VS boot was my cast. We Irish are stubborn.

But, I got meds from an SY. and I fell asleep on a brand new mattress. With a chocolate donut on my lap. Then on the bed.

So, i feel some of ur pain lunar. No one will ever believe tis a donut that messed that mattress. I guess i should stick to M&Ms that melt in ur mouth, allegedly, and not in ur hand.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

M&M's are a pro move, contain the mess.