Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alcohol
I drink. But I don't drink as much as I would like. The taxes on alcohol in Canada(known as a sin tax) makes drinking to excess very costly.

I only drink beer and my favourite is Miller genuine draft. A 24 pack costs slightly over $50.

Down in the States a 24 costs anywhere between $12-$16
I like to have a martini,

Two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table,
after four I'm under my host. 
Dorothy Parker, American poet, wit, and member of the "Algonquin Round Table".
There's nothing you could ever say,
to make the pain all go away.
I'll remember you for who you were,
from early memories of jumbled blur.
I miss my mother, and all she could have been,
if she hadn't let alcohol let her life cave in.

From Chaise Talor Poem Mom Has An Alcohol Problem
Sorry to hear that Nick.
It takes so many!
I used to be a scotch man, and beers socially, but since I stopped drinking it's funny how people are really weirded out by it in social situations. As in... "why aren't you drinking, is something wrong?" or they have some misplaced guilt if they're drinking and I'm not.

Personally, it doesn't bother me in the slightest, and has made me really up my game socially (to the point where I've had some very successful first dates, on just orange juice and charm Wink )
Good on you Hamil.
I hear / read about / speak to more and more people who have given up alcohol.
As every week passes I understand more and more as to why.
Hey sorry to hear about your mom my father was the same. Kind, compassionate highly educated, great job, loved us kids but the bottle did him at the age of 54. I to had my struggles and had to cut down after getting pancreatitis and ulcers. But those days are gone now I'm older and wiser. But I still love my pints of Guinness and a fine single malt scotch!
I love a nice drink but have also seen the damage it can cause to those who bbecome addicted.

My brother was an alcoholic but has since given it up and seems so much happier.

I personally love a glass of wine or two whilst at home aas it relaxes me and seems to improve the dining experience. Also a dram of quality whisky for weekends.
Back in the day I used to be a pretty heavy drinker. Mostly beer but I did have a taste for Crown Royal. I was pretty mellow when I drank but I sure cannot say that about everyone. One of my best friends I grew up with, (would do anything for me), well every time he would drink he would become belligerent and want to fight. Now this guy when sober he was a tough SOB and there would have been no one else I would have wanted to cover my back in a sticky situation but when drinking he just got out of control. We tried to get him to seek help but like most alcoholics he was in denial. Well about 3 years past and he was in a bar drinking hard liquor and 2 guys started crap with him (I was not there). Well a fight ensued and my friend literally beat those 2 guys to death. This was a good friend of mine that when sober I would have trusted him with my life but when drinking, totally out of control and a different person. He is now serving 40 years in prison because of Alcohol and not knowing when to stop. I still enjoy a good beer with my steak and maybe a Crown & Coke but that's where it ends for me on alcohol. I am an advocate of MoM way more than Alcohol. A LOT less violence not to mention no hangover.

Everyone's body is different and acts different to different kinds of stimulants and you just have to find what works for you..

Peace Everyone
"Another Day In This Carnival Of Souls"
Alcohol used to be okay for me but with anxiety issues, I had to pretty much stop-mornings were a nightmare.

I really prefer light benzos than a drink or two-I will still have a glass of wine couple times a year.

I am better of without it.  Many people would be as well-but to each their own.