Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Those living in warm climate
I was hesitant at first to start this thread, just a great reminder of where I am, and how wonderful everyone is!
Thank you all for your great tips and responses. Love this place!!!
(07-05-2015, 09:50 PM)mrslangman Wrote: i hate it, i get migraines, aches and my body falls apart !

I had issues with migraines my whole life so I can relate about that. They got progressively worse when I moved to Florida, mainly I think due to the humidity. For me, drinking Orange Juice was a nice natural cure that helped immensely. That and Excredrine, that's about the only medication OTC that has worked for my migraines. Best of luck with your pain, and welcome to the forums!
I too have a history of migraines......nothing worked.......I tired every kind of drug that the docs would recommend from cafergot to fiorinal to Imitrex and everything in between......some docs said I would outgrow them (particularly men can do this.....after they reach the age of 40ish), they were right to some degree......they did come less often.   I spent two years 8 degrees from the equator and found that the heat and humidity had no effect positive or negative....my solution was to take a pain killer and find a dark room and hide for a few days.  Useless waste of time. my migraines almost always occurred at night.

Well, i found that laying down does NOT help......I was taught by a wise monk to think of the pain as like a crying child asking for attention.
So now, when they rarely come, I get up at night (hard to do) sit quietly and pay deep attention to the pain, I comfort it and cradle it like a crying child. Giving it a lot of attention........not trying to hide from it as I had done in the past.

I know to many of you, this might sound wacko......but the proofs in the pudding.....I no longer fear these headaches, I mindfully pay attention to them in a loving manner.......caring for them, like I would a child.....they subside within 1/2 hour and then I too take an Excedrin......"the only medication OTC that has worked for my migraines" (andybones)
It works for me......I suspect it's the caffeine in it...

Try this technique it...it could work for you.

(07-06-2015, 05:15 PM)andybones Wrote:
(07-05-2015, 09:50 PM)mrslangman Wrote: i hate it, i get migraines, aches and my body falls apart !

I had issues with migraines my whole life so I can relate about that. They got progressively worse when I moved to Florida, mainly I think due to the humidity. For me, drinking Orange Juice was a nice natural cure that helped immensely. That and Excredrine, that's about the only medication OTC that has worked for my migraines. Best of luck with your pain, and welcome to the forums!
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence - Desiderata
(06-26-2015, 07:29 AM)IceWizard Wrote:
(06-26-2015, 04:35 AM)Cricket Wrote:
(06-26-2015, 03:52 AM)andybones Wrote:
(06-26-2015, 02:30 AM)Squidword Wrote: I believe it's humidity rather than heat which will affect the quality.

Ahh very good point. I guess I was wondering what those do who live in like Florida without central air and no matter where they stash their pills it'll be far above the 77 degree recommendation.

PHEW! I don't know how anyone down south can do without A/C. I would die.

I don't have any answers for you other than try to keep them in the coolest spot you can find. I heard somewhere today that you should NEVER leave them in your car. It will totally destroy them.

I don't know if you can put them in the fridge or not. Does anyone know if that's an option?

When I lived in Houston area I know it got as hot as you can even imagine ... Summer lasted ahh about 10 1/2 months a year ( got a little cool in Feb ) , so I'd keep my stash in the fridge.
This worked, but when I'd take them out, they'd sweat to high heaven ... So I started to use a tupperware bowl and put rice in it ...

That way I could take them out of the cold and the rice sucked up all the "sweat" caused by the drastic change in temps ... They remained dry and never got hot ...

It worked for me .... Just sayin

Hum... I never would have thought that rice would help that way. Interesting idea.
I live in S.E. Louisiana and know the heat and humidity VERY well. It's killer. Our weather is just about the same as Houston's.
HOT + HOT + HOT! But you get use to it somewhat after awhile, but you live in a constant state of wet. That damn humidity drains you fast.

What I can't fathom is how people up north can handle all the cold, snow and ice. BURRR... NOT for me.
Give me spring time down south any day. Wish it could stay spring all the time.
I am going to bump my own post.....cause these jars are a real solution to keeping your meds fresh....

(06-26-2015, 06:49 PM)Popster Wrote: You all have good ideas......

It is sunlight, temperature and humidity (excluding age) that one needs to be concerned about.

here's a good tip....I use special black jars that are sunlight (including ultraviolet) proof, humidity proof and store them in cool locations.

These jars are good for herbs, medicine, anything you want to protect.

I am not sure if this is my brand (mine have no markings), but here's a link to the same or similar product...in all sizes and shapes..

http://infinityjars.com/

They really work!
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence - Desiderata
I'm another one that gets migraines when the temp rises,esp before thunderstorms when the air pressure gets really high and humidity goes up far too much.
As for keeping meds in cool places,suppose a bit lucky that my old home has very cool back rooms to store things,i also tend to go lie down in there when its too hot and sunny and i'm getting those damn migraines,front of my home is a pure sun trap and gets hot as hell,best to keep the curtains closed to stop the sun being magnified through the windows making it even hotter,this time of year is time to get the fan out on some days.
I sometimes wonder how some of our vendors store all the bulk amounts they must have,wonder if thats why sometimes we read that this or that batch doesn't feel as up to strength as the previous batches,hope they do know how to store meds in a cooler place.
Protection varies with the med.
It's quite variable........

But it still comes down to age, temp variations, humidity and sunlight.

To be safe take ALL variables into account.

all meds have a life span.
Temp variations can definitely be a factor.....but not always.
Humidity is particularly a problem with pills disintegrating and melding.
and Sunlight is probably the most damaging.

Any dark, dry, air/light proof container stored in a not hot place is the way to go.